Talking Heads Speech Pathology have been privileged to work alongside a number of primary schools both within our local area and across Sydney. Our services can be provided on a private basis with families, or on a professional arrangement made directly with the school to reach more students. Read on for more information on the range of services we provide, or contact us directly to talk to us further about your needs and how we can help.
Oral Communication & Pre-Literacy Screenings
An excellent way to have students identified early for any speech, language and literacy difficulties.
- 1:1 Communication & Pre-Literacy screenings service provided on-site at your school for students that staff believe may have a difficulty.
- Assists in the early Identification of speech, language & learning difficulties.
- For students that it is clear a communication/pre-literacy difficulty is present; a full assessment is required.
Full Diagnostic Assessments
- Students are withdrawn from class for 1:1 formal assessment.
- Depending on the reason for referral / areas of concern, assessment duration is 1 hour or 1.5 hours.
- Diagnostic assessments are all inclusive of a summary report.
- Full reports are available on specific request and at additional cost.
Small Group Therapy
Small student groups are withdrawn for small group therapy to target areas such as:
- Phonological Awareness Skills
- Social Skills
- Oral Language Skills
- Written Language Skills
- Duration of block is determined and negotiated with the school.
Students are withdrawn for:
- 1:1 therapy sessions.
- Typical duration of 30 minutes.
- Scheduled on a weekly or fortnightly basis.
Workshops or In Services
Available for teachers and/or parents:
- A daytime or evening workshop on a date / time that suits you.
- Focused on further developing skills in identification and management of children with communication difficulties in the classroom.
- Parent workshops can focus on language development, literacy, school readiness or ongoing communication support.
- Schools may also request relevant workshops specific to their needs.
Programming and Consultation
Arranged with teachers for:
- The provision of strategies to facilitate communication skills.
- Support for students with communication impairments during classroom activities.
Team Teaching Lessons
Collaboration between the Speech Pathologist, classroom teacher and other relevant staff where appropriate for the following:
- Activities to assist with management of students with communication impairments, or
- Targeting of specific communication skills.
- Includes a planning session with relevant staff and Speech Pathologist prior to implementation in class lessons.
- Regular consultation and evaluation is an important part of the process.
Available for parents, teachers, or both.
- Provides the Speech Pathologist with an opportunity to discuss details about student management.
- Facilitates collaboration in the development of Individual Education Plans (IEPs) for children with communication difficulties.
Resource / Program Development
Resources or programs can be developed, tailored to your specific goals and needs.
We are registered providers with FaHCSIA for Better Start and Helping Children with Autism, and the National Disability Insurance Scheme.